Transport and Driving in the EU ahead of Brexit

Transport and Driving in the EU ahead of Brexit

The government says flights, ferries and cruises, the Eurostar and Eurotunnel, and bus and coach services between the UK and the EU will continue to run as normal, whatever the manner of the UK’s exit.

Some bus and coach services to non-EU countries, such as Switzerland or Andorra, may not be able to run in a no-deal scenario.

There is a chance of disruption on some roads while still in the UK if there is a no-deal Brexit. There are plans in place for lorries if they are delayed on their way through ports, but any spill over could affect holidaymakers.

Insurers say that refunds or alternative arrangements for Brexit-related cancellations will be the responsibility of travel or credit and debit card providers first, and only after that could people with policies that include travel disruption cover make a claim.

Anyone driving their own vehicle after 31 October if there is no deal will need a GB sticker on it and also a “green card”. This is actually a document made of green paper from your insurer which has proof of insurance on it. Those towing a trailer or caravan will need two.

Generally, it takes one month to receive a green card, so anyone who has left it too late may need to buy insurance locally for the duration of their stay.

All motorists – either taking their own vehicle or hiring one – may need an International Driving Permit (IDP) when driving in some, but not all, EU countries (you can check if you need one on the Post Office website) in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

The extra expense – an IDP costs £5.50 – may be mitigated by the opportunity to buy some duty-free alcohol or tobacco on the way back in a no-deal scenario.

Taken Directly from

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.